Language Arts Reading
Tone, Point of View, and Style
- Learn about figurative language
- Discover and understand the author's purpose
- Explore tone and fact vs. opinion
What is Figurative Language?
- To create images in our minds, authors use figurative language
- Figurative language allows authors to exaggerate the truth in order to create a lasting image in our mind
Types of Figurative Language
- Similes – comparing things using "like" or "as"
- Ex. Her skin was soft like silk.
- Metaphors – comparing things with simple statements and does not use "like" or "as"
- Ex. Life is a journey, travel it well. (United Airlines)
- Symbol – using a person, place or thing to stand for a bigger idea
- Ex. Time is money.
- Personification – giving non-human objects human-like characteristics
- Ex. The wind sang an old love song.
Understanding an Author's Purpose
- All author's have different reasons or purposes behind their writing
- Once you understand the author's purpose, you can easily make inferences about a particular piece of writing
More About the Author's Purpose
- Style – the characteristics that make a writer unique
- Ex. An author's perspective on events
- Intended audience – author's vary their styles to suit an audience
- This includes changing language, choice of words, and methods of presentation
What is Tone?
- The tone of a speaker's voice helps you to interpret what they are saying
- Tone refers to the attitude or feeling a writer expresses about a particular subject
- Tone can be sentimental, angry, humorous, sympathetic, instructive, or persuasive
- Mood – the atmosphere of a literary selection
- The author will use specific words to describe and “paint a picture” in your mind to set the mood
How Do I Distinguish Fact vs. Opinion
- The ability to distinguish between fact and opinion is vitally important in critical thinking
- Fact - statements that can be verified
- E. The PHCC West Campus is on Ridge Road.
- Opinion – statements that express a writer's feelings, attitudes, or beliefs (neither true or false)
- PHCC is the best community college in Florida.
Please complete the Practice exercises, followed by the test in this module.